Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Trusting the Spirit

I had a really amazing tender mercy happen the other day regarding my husband and I wanted to share it here.  In my first blog post I expressed concern because my husband hasn't been attending the Temple and that was worrisome for me.

But Heavenly Father recently blessed me with a confirmation that squelched my fears on this issue.  I don't really remember what the conversation was that led to my husband telling me this - but at the end of the conversation he told me that he has a Book of Mormon at work, a real one.  Not on his iPhone or online, but a real live Book of Mormon, I know they are rare these days.  He told me he reads it every morning.

I know this revelation doesn't seem like anything big - but it was the Spirit of Truth associated with his words that rang true to me.

Let me back up a bit and relate how I came to hear and trust this Spirit of Truth.

After my husband's last disclosure I was left reeling.  I couldn't understand how I'd missed all the signs and I had no idea how I could ever trust him again.  During the time period he was acting out we had many conversations about recovery and he put on quite the grand act.  I believed all of it.  So how, after he had confessed, was I suppose to believe anything he ever said when all of it could potentially be a lie?  That territory terrified me.  The one person on earth that I was asked to trust the most all of a sudden was my worst enemy.

I remember one night a few weeks after his disclosure thinking and praying about this dilemma and I decided it didn't matter.  I knew the one thing I had to give through this trying time was my trust.  I didn't necessarily trust my husband but I did trust the Lord.  So I gave it all to Him.  And in return He gave me the ability to trust my husband again.

I remember it like it was yesterday...

It was a late Thursday night and we were sitting on our bed after he had come home from group.  I had decided not to go (I know, bad bad Apple) but the Lord was kind and overlooked that act of rebellion.  It's always been tradition for hubby and I to talk about group when we get home so even though I hadn't gone, we seemed to fall into our usual rhythm and he began to talk about his meeting.  Through tears he expressed his desire to be a better man, a better husband and to be clean again.  Just as the seed of doubt began to grow within my heart I heard a very loud voice that said  "you can trust this" accompanied by an amazing powerful feeling of truth.  I froze, surprised by the loud voice in my head but I welcomed the comforting words and allowed the warmth of the Spirit to settle over me.  In that moment, instead of doubting everything he said, I believed him.  I chose to believe the Spirit who confirmed it was OK to trust him and so I did.

This simple act of surrender on my part allowed me the opportunity to become a nourishing agent to his growth rather than an agent that kills seeds of hope. (Weed-Be-Gone vs Round-Up).

Fast forward to the Book of Mormon in hubbies desk.  I felt the same confirming Spirit as he told about his scripture reading: "He is OK  he is not perfect, but he is doing OK."

And that is all I needed...


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful, I love this. Thanks for sharing! -MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I love these kinds of stories:) Tender Mercies are the BEST! Warm Fuzzy moment...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:-) I agree!! Those personal moments are the best!

      Delete
  3. " The one person on earth that I was asked to trust the most all of a sudden was my worst enemy."

    I read something, I think from Colleen Harrison, who said something to the effect of your husband is not your enemy...you both have a common enemy, and that is the devil.

    When I read your stories, I think of that a lot...that it's really the devil who is the father of lies and addiction. Addiction is not who your husband REALLY is. His challenge is to choose whether he wants to do what it takes to let God unlock who he really is and free him from the chains of bondage of addiction. I dunno if that helps, but it helps me when the momma bear in me wants to be mad at men who are 'doing this to their wives.' ;) In reality, addicts are victims of the adversary's lies and traps, too. It helps me have compassion for them.

    Anyway, I love this post. The powerful truth that the key is to rely on the Spirit to know what to do is so central to healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right. I don't feel this way anymore, and I didn't feel that way very long but I did have a moment at the time where I felt that way. It of course, was a lie told to me by Satan... I'm glad I didn't sit in that too long.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Ah I always for so uneasy commenting but I loved this post. I love hearing when the women have moments like these with their husbands. This is very key! This may not make sense now but somehow....the process of battling the pain of a loved ones addiction will teach you the gospel on a deeper level that you never thought possible. I'm a total addict but it has taught me: patience, humility, dependence on God, refraining from judging others, constant/daily prayer, need for "feasting on the word", coming out of isolation and connecting with others, serving others by calling fellow addicts and being kinder to women. I hope the best for you. I hope your husband's heart continues to change....that's the only way to beat addiction. Only God can do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comments and welcome them anytime. I don't feel separate from those that struggle on the addiction side. We all have our demons we have to deal with.

      I agree with your statement of "the process of battling the pain of a loved ones addiction will teach you the gospel on a deeper level that you never thought possible." This is absolutely true. I'm relying on the Lord to take care of not just me, but my husband and really our entire family.

      The refining process we go through is hard - but the strength, stamina and wisdom we glean from it makes it all worth it.

      Delete